Sunday 26 October 2014

How to decorate < my way> a Christmas Tree



How to decorate < my way> a Christmas Tree

Hello Christmas Lovers I’m posting a blog on how I decorate my trees for Christmas. I know we all are different and like many different styles just thought I’d put my own ideas on tree decorating to the test to compare what others do.
Buying a tree I myself like different trees for different styles. Tall, thin, full, white, sparse branches so many to choose from. Once you choose the tree figuring out lights can be tricky. Nothing worse than a tree with poorly placed lights. Seeing lonely string place hap hazardly on a 7ft tree. I use at least 100 to  150 lights per foot. That is the least I like  more  but it’s a good start I usually like to  put  some  white lights  in the center of a solid color  around the trunk of a fuller tree. The sparse trees I do not do this.  Fluff each branch try not to be uniform you want it to look like it would in nature. Once this is done you are ready for lights. Then placing your ornaments out and looking at what you have to use. My suggestion for that would be 14 large ornaments< such as flower picks or statement pieces for your theme > for bald spots.  10 medium sized, ones 20 ordinary sizes ones then your fillers the colored balls that you can get cheaply at any store.  Also decide if you’d like beads, tinsel or ribbons. Then finally your tree topper star, angel or Santa.
Placing the lights I try to put the end of each string of lights in a central area. Even better to get the lights where you plug into the other to have a solid string of lights.



 Starting at the bottom and the inside of the tree weave the light through the branch to end tucking into the branch working you way up the tree to the center. Then begin the next string of lights working down from top to the center to meet with the other lights.
After stringing stand back see if you need to move any slightly. The begin placing the statement pieces on the tree. Please use hooks for all ornament so each one hangs as it should and they will be secure on your tree. Especially if you have cats who love climbing.
Then adding the medium ones try not to be precise, natural looking is best. .  I know it’s hard being OCD myself but take a deep breath and let it go. Always place some on the inside of the tree as well as the ends. The large you need to place in the tree more if heavy.  With flowers place into the tree not on the ends of the branches. This gives the tree depth. Moving on to the regular sized ones then adding the fillers. Again stand back looking around as you go looking for holes.

Finally we move to the end accents < beads, tinsel, ribbons or bows> this is really personal to taste and a tricky one to tell you all how. I do both ribbons on one tree and beads on another. So look at styles you like and go from there.  I find most make their mistakes with lighting and ornament placing the rest is dressing placing ribbon make the cascade through the tree as well as the beads. Beads I use wire to attach to the end of branches to hang. Again try to make it natural not uniform.   I hope this helps I’ll add pictures of a few of my personal trees. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment